HIV Test Price in India
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is a retrovirus responsible for causing HIV infection which eventually leads to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). HIV test is the only way to make sure one is suffering from it or not. Many HIV +ve people are not aware that they have HIV infection. Hence, everyone between the ages of 13 and 64 needs to get tested for HIV. It needs to be seen as a precautionary measure. Information about the HIV status helps in taking appropriate steps.
There are many diagnostic centers in India which provide HIV test facility. To make the process of selecting the right diagnostic center for the test easy, we have provided a list of centers in major cities in India where this facility is available. We have also given the estimated rates of the test for your convenience.
HIV Test Cost in Top 7 Cities
- Delhi HIV Test Prices
- Mumbai HIV Test Prices
- Kolkata HIV Test Prices
- Chennai HIV Test Prices
- Pune HIV Test Prices
- Hyderabad HIV Test Prices
- Bengaluru HIV Test Prices
HIV, which leads to AIDS, a life threatening disease, is associated with many risk factors. AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection.
Risk factors for HIV infection:
- Blood transfusion
- Injecting drugs and sharing needles, syringes
- Unprotected sex with someone who is HIV-positive or whose HIV status is unknown
- Sex with many partners
- Presence of sexually transmitted disease (STD) such as Syphilis
- Presence of Hepatitis or Tuberculosis (TB)
There are three main types of HIV tests available:
- Antibody tests: These are more rapid HIV tests. When people are exposed to viruses like HIV or bacteria, antibodies are generated by the human immune system. Antibody test performed using blood, gives results soon than those using oral fluid. It takes 3 to 12 weeks i.e., 21-84 days for the body of HIV infected person to generate antibodies in enough quantity which can be helpful in HIV testing. This antibody generation period is called as window period.
Rapid antibody screening test can give results within 30 minutes or even less.
OraQuick HIV test: This test makes use of oral swab. In this test, mouth of the person under examination is swabbed for getting an oral fluid sample. This test also provides fast results. One can get results in 20 minutes. Additional advantage of this test is getting confidential counseling and referral for follow-up tests. Chances of blood infection are high since, level of antibody in oral fluids is less than that in the blood. This test can be used at home, community programmes and clinic testing.
Home Access HIV-1 Test System: This is a home kit that includes collection of blood by pricking the finger and sending the sample to a licensed laboratory for further testing. Any variant of antibody test showing positive result needs to be confirmed by follow-up test. Usually positive results of home tests need to be confirmed by health professionals, while positive results of the tests carried out in the labs need follow-up for confirmation from other tests in the same lab.
- Combination or fourth-generation tests: Combination screening tests are recommended to be done in the laboratories. These focus on HIV antigen and HIV antibodies. Foreign substances that activate the immune system are known as antigens. During acute HIV infection, antigen is present. Acute HIV infection is the phase of infection right after person is infected with HIV prior to development of antibodies. An antigen known as p24 is formed when a person is infected with HIV before developing antibodies. A period of 2 to 6 weeks (13 to 42 days) may be required for a person’s body to make enough antigens and antibodies. This is the window period.
- Nucleic acid test (NAT): In this test, presence of HIV in blood is detected. Here focus is on virus and not on the antibodies of virus.
Viral load test: This test gives a positive/negative result or an amount of virus present in the blood. This test is expensive and not used routinely for people with recent high-risk exposure or possible early HIV infection.
Nucleic acid or NAT tests take 7 to 28 days for the detection of HIV. NAT is considered accurate testing during early stages of HIV infection. An antibody or combination test needs to be taken simultaneously for interpretation of negative NAT. The reason behind this is decrease in the amount of virus in the blood over time in some people that leads to incorrect NAT results. Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) or post-exposure prophylaxis can also reduce accuracy of NAT results in HIV infected people.
It is important to contact the health provider if HIV test gives positive results for further treatment options. In case of negative HIV test results, HIV prevention methods need to be followed. Medications are also given in advance in the cases where there is a high risk of getting HIV infection.
HIV tests may be carried out using blood, oral fluid, or urine.
HIV test during pregnancy
If a pregnant woman is HIV-positive, early HIV treatment helps in reducing the risk of transmitting HIV to her baby. Health benefits have been reported even in cases where HIV preventive measures are taken during labor or shortly after child-birth.
Procedure of HIV test
A healthcare professional collects blood or oral fluid sample of the person under testing for detecting HIV infection. Rapid HIV tests are available as well. A counseling and general health information session happens with the doctor. Based on the results, necessary actions need to be followed.
HIV testing can be of anonymous or confidential type.
- Anonymous testing: In this type of HIV testing, a unique identification is provided instead of original identity. Results can be obtained based on the unique identification information.
- Confidential testing: In confidential type of HIV testing, name and other information will be attached along with person's test results. Apart from medical records only your health insurance company, can have access to such information.
HIV or AIDS is a fatal infection that no one wants to speak about in public; even though lot of improvement is done with regards to its treatment. It is possible to live after HIV detection with proper preventive measures and recommended medical treatments. There are advanced treatments available for HIV infection.
We have provided here a list of city diagnostic centers where HIV test can be performed. We value your life as you value it. We are here to provide you the best diagnostic test and center information. Life prevented from infections is life lived. It is always recommended to take precautionary measures at right time.