Triple Marker Test Price in India
The Triple marker test is also known as triple test, multiple marker test, AFP plus, Kettering test or Bart's test. The results of this test indicate likelihood of a woman giving birth to multiple children. It also detects genetic abnormalities in fetus.
Many maternity and diagnostic centers in the cities across India provide the facility of Triple marker test. We have given a list of diagnostic centers where the facility of Triple marker test is available. We have also provided the cost estimation of the test for your convenience. Please go through the list of diagnostic centers and select the center as per your convenience.
Triple Marker Test Cost in Top 7 Cities
- Delhi Triple Marker Test Prices
- Mumbai Triple Marker Test Prices
- Kolkata Triple Marker Test Prices
- Chennai Triple Marker Test Prices
- Pune Triple Marker Test Prices
- Hyderabad Triple Marker Test Prices
- Bengaluru Triple Marker Test Prices
The triple marker test determines levels of three important substances in the placenta as given below.
- Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP): This is a protein produced by the fetus. Birth shortcomings such as neural tube defects can be detected when high levels of AFP are observed.
- Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG): HCG is a hormone produced by placenta. Low levels of HCG indicate problems during pregnancy, such as possible miscarriage and multiple pregnancy with two or more children in some cases.
- Estriol: From both fetus and placenta, an estrogen called Estriol can be formed. Low levels of Estriol indicate chances of having a baby with defects such as Down's syndrome. When low AFP and high HGC levels are associated with low levels of estriol, risk of birth defects get increased.
Procedure of Triple marker test
The triple screen test involves collection of blood sample from the pregnant woman which takes about 5 to 10 minutes. A doctor or nurse cleanse the area of skin from where blood needs to be collected. It is likely that they will use a tightening band or device on the arm of the pregnant woman for visibility of vein. In some cases, veins are not visible easily. After this, with the help of new needle, blood sample is withdrawn for testing. The site of injection is cleaned again with a cotton swab and a bandage is placed on it if required.
This blood sample is then sent to a licensed laboratory for detailed analysis. The results of the test, generally can be obtained within few days. Apart from the pain and discomfort of blood collection, no risks have been reported till date. This test is performed between the 15th and 20th week of pregnancy; although results received between the 16th-18th week are considered to be the most accurate ones. The triple test may be combined with nuchal translucency ultrasound measurement.
Triple marker test can be advised to all pregnant women. It is specially recommended in following cases:
- Women of age 35 and more
- Women with family history of birth defects
- Those who have exposed to harmful medications during pregnancy
- Diabetic women using insulin
- History of viral infection during pregnancy
- Exposure to high level radiations
Preparation for Triple marker test: There is no special preparation required for a triple marker test. No eating or drinking requirements are reported. Also, no risks are linked with this test.
Abnormal levels of AFP, HCG and Estriol: When abnormal levels of three main substances in the Triple marker test are observed, it can be an indication of following defects.
- Neural tube defects, such as spina bifida and anencephaly
- An improper pregnancy timeline
- Multiple infants (twin or triplets)
- Edward's syndrome
- Down's syndrome
Down's syndrome may occur when an extra copy of chromosome 21 is formed by the fetus. It may lead to learning disabilities. Edward's syndrome may cause substantial medical problems. Sometimes these complication can be life-threatening.
High levels of AFP may indicate the presence of neural tube defect in the developing baby. An inaccurate date of pregnancy is the most common reason behind high levels of AFP.
It is good to get educated prior to the test. Sometimes patients become anxious about the triple marker test. Apart from blood testing, there is also consideration of various factors, such as age and ethnicity. The results of Triple marker test are often combined with the age, weight, ethnicity and gestation period of pregnant woman.
It is to be noted that the triple test is a screening test and not a diagnostic test. This test only shows possibility of carrying a baby with a genetic disorder in pregnant women. When abnormal results are obtained from triple marker test, it doesn't necessarily indicate serious troubles. Instead, they give more chance for further tests to be done for clarity.
Amniocentesis test for abnormal triple marker test results:
An amniocentesis test needs to be performed in case of abnormal triple marker test results. In this test, a small amount of amniotic fluid from the womb of pregnant woman is removed with the help of thin needle. This is the fluid that surrounds the unborn baby, and acts as a protection inside the womb. It contains some of the baby's cells which help in detection of abnormalities such as cystic fibrosis, Down's syndrome and spina bifida.
Benefits of Triple marker test:
- Indication of potential complications in fetus during pregnancy
- Preparation of parents for child birth after test results
- Early detection leading to reduction in number of future complications
- Timely advise for further tests in serious cases
Pregnancy is a nine month long journey and it is a lifetime experience for every woman going through it. During this period, pregnant woman and fetus need to undergo many tests for good health of both mother and the baby. It includes both screenings tests and diagnostic tests.
We are here to help you make the right decision about the selection of medical center. Information about the medical centers providing the triple marker test is provided to you here in best possible manner. As they say, prevention is better than cure. Hence, it is recommended to carry out all essential pregnancy tests in time. After all health of pregnant woman and her baby is very important.